Orange County News
Passenger jumps from helicopter near Newport Beach pier, dies
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. -- A passenger jumped out of a helicopter 500 feet above water off the Newport Beach coast Tuesday afternoon.
The only other person aboard the helicopter was the pilot.
The passenger reportedly opened the door and jumped out into the water near the Balboa Pier.
The 60-year-old Caucasian man was hospitalized in critical condition after lifeguards located and rescued the victim. He was pronounced dead at the local hospital.
The helicopter pilot was instructed to land at John Wayne Airport to be interviewed.
The victim was not identified pending notification of next of kin.
The incident was being investigated as a possible suicide, according to the Newport Beach Police Department.
orange county news
- Bloody burglary suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- Applications for US jobless aid edge up to 304,000 32 min ago
- Valley cities among those where residents feel least safe
- Burglars steal firefighting tools from Forest Service
- 3 protesters killed in attack on Ukrainian base 24 min ago
- Gunmen attack Iraq military base, kill 10 soldiers 7 min ago
- Two dead after gunfire in the town of Lindcove
- Teen kicked in head taking selfie in front...
- Missing kid found stuck in coin-operated game
- Fresno County jail inmate death labeled a homicide
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach
- Honey oil safety class for firefighters in Fresno
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos