Orange County News
Passenger jumps from helicopter near Newport Beach pier, dies
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. -- A passenger jumped out of a helicopter 500 feet above water off the Newport Beach coast Tuesday afternoon.
The only other person aboard the helicopter was the pilot.
The passenger reportedly opened the door and jumped out into the water near the Balboa Pier.
The 60-year-old Caucasian man was hospitalized in critical condition after lifeguards located and rescued the victim. He was pronounced dead at the local hospital.
The helicopter pilot was instructed to land at John Wayne Airport to be interviewed.
The victim was not identified pending notification of next of kin.
The incident was being investigated as a possible suicide, according to the Newport Beach Police Department.
orange county news
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for jet with 239 aboard 6 min ago
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos