Arizona Sheriff's Deputy Shot
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Sheriff's Deputy was recovering Saturday morning after a shootout in the Arizona desert. The suspects are believed to be undocumented immigrant drug smugglers.
Investigators say the deputy was shot after confronting a group of men who had been hauling bales of marijuana near the border.
The violence is only adding to the controversy over Arizona's new immigration law.
"This just shows, this sends a very powerful and loud message that we have a problem, there's a problem. People are upset, emotions are running high. Our deputies are doing the very best job that they can. These are laws that are enacted by our legislators, and our deputies are charged with enforcing those laws, whether they like those laws or not," Tamatha Villa said.
The deputy's injury was not serious, and he was released from the hospital Friday night. Authorities are still searching for the suspects.
crimetracker, shooting, arizona, national/world
- USC defeats Fresno St 45-20 in Las Vegas Bowl
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Man stabs his uncle in the neck in SE Fresno 22 min ago
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- Apartment fire displaces 8 people in SE Fresno 9 min ago
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Record number of manatee deaths reported in 2013
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Things you didn't know about reindeer
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Fresno Poverello House in need of toys for kids
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Parker surprises fans with Parker Gram
47 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos