Christmas around the world
Despite winter weather here in the U.S. and in other parts of the world, people are still making the most of this holiday.
Christians gathered in the traditional birthplace of Jesus for a midnight mass at Bethlehem's Church of the Nativity.
"Christmas brings us a message of joy and peace," Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem Foud Twal said.
Pope Benedict the 16th ushered in Christmas Day with an evening mass calling for peace on the holy day.
A serenade from U.S. soldiers stationed in a war zone during Christmas - in Afghanistan the usual sounds of explosions and gunfire replaced by carols.
"It is an honor to serve my country, but also I hate to miss my family at the same time, so it is fifty, fifty," U.S. Solider in Afghanistan Lee Heckenlaible said.
Back in the U.S., the North American Aerospace Defense Command has an important year-round mission to monitor the skies of North America. But on Christmas eve, there's another task -- figuring out the global trail of St. Nick.
"We'll keep track of him for the full 24 hours he's out and about basically for the entire day," Capt. James Hineline said.
But it's just not Santa alone dropping presents on kids everywhere. Sometimes the gifts are presented by elephants, like in this traditional celebration in Thailand.
Six elephants dressed as Santa Claus entertained school children who jostled and tussled to snatch toys from the elephants' trunks.
christmas, holiday, national/world
- Bloody burglary suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- Applications for US jobless aid edge up to 304,000
- Valley cities among those where residents feel least safe 4 min ago
- Burglars steal firefighting tools from Forest Service
- 3 protesters killed in attack on Ukrainian base
- Gunmen attack Iraq military base, kill 10 soldiers
- Two dead after gunfire in the town of Lindcove
- Teen kicked in head taking selfie in front...
- Missing kid found stuck in coin-operated game
- Fresno County jail inmate death labeled a homicide
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach
- Honey oil safety class for firefighters in Fresno
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos