4.9 earthquake shakes New Zealand
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- An earthquake shook up shoppers looking for post-Christmas deals in New Zealand Sunday.
The 4.9 magnitude quake hit the city of Christchurch as people strolled through the stores and streets. Officials say glass and masonry fell to the ground from buildings that were damaged by the temblor.
The quake is the largest aftershock from a 7.1 quake that hit the area back in September, causing extensive damage and some injuries.
No one was hurt in this quake but one store owner says it actually felt stronger than the last one.
"When we had the 7.1 (earthquake in September) we had very little damage to stock. I think only one guitar fell off the wall and a couple of other items fell over. But this one was a lot more violent and a lot more stuff has fallen off," business owner Roger Cleave said.
Emergency crews and engineers are still assessing the damaged buildings.
new zealand, earthquake, national/world
- Final Crimea count: 97 percent back Russia
- Merced PD looks for witnesses to deadly shooting
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- LA police say no leads in abduction of 4 kids
- Ukrainians in Fresno react to Crimea vote
- Child may be to blame for Fresno garage fire
- Crash sends Fresno police car into canal
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- Merced police seek help to catch armed robber
- Magnitude-6.7 quake hits Chile's northern coast
- Consumer Reports: Skip extended car warranties
- Diamond 'Dogs swept by New Mexico 57 min ago
- 'Dogs women's, men's hoops set for postseason
- Oprah Winfrey to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago