Valley Egyptian-Americans celebrate Mubarak's resignation
FRESNO, California -- The Egyptian revolution has weighed heavily on the minds of Egyptian-Americans in the valley. Two weeks ago they gathered at Shaw and Blackstone to draw attention to the mass demonstrations in Egypt. They all have family and friends there.
On Friday they were all smiles. Some carried signs which read "sweet victory" and "thank you Fresno." Many in the valley's Egyptian community celebrated a day they never thought would come.
Egypt erupted once demonstrators learned President Mubarak stepped down.
Inas Sakoury of Fresno heard the news while driving to work. She said, "I had to stop. I had to get off the freeway because I was so excited. I was shaking."
Imam Seyed Ali Ghazvini offered a special message during prayer services at the Islamic Cultural Center of Fresno. He said, "Power does not last with injustice." The imam added, "This is a victory not only for Egyptians but for the every Muslim around the world. It is a victory for the integrity and dignity for the Egyptians."
The revolution led by young people without a true leader inspired many in the valley's Egyptian community.
Dr. Fawzi El-Sayed and his wife Nana never thought they'd see the day Egypt would be free. Dr. El-Sayed explained, "I was really crying when I saw these people. It tells you all the propaganda of the regime, the autocratic regime of President Mubarak was all the way lying."
Nana El-Sayed said, "Mubarak is gone with the wind and thank God that he is gone. Our prayers were accepted because we were always praying for the people of Egypt."
The El-Sayeds are especially happy for Egypt's generations to come. Dr. El-Sayed said, "I expect the movement of Egypt is going to be a lesson to the dictators of the Middle East."
While the mood was obviously somber and reflective inside the Islamic center, demonstrators were boisterous and happy as they rallied in north Fresno.
egypt, protest, national/world, dale yurong
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase 56 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting 23 min ago
- 10 more bodies found inside sunken ferry by divers 14 min ago
- Man arrested for exposing himself in front of kids
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- Credit card skimming device found at gas station
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge
- California regulators propose coyote-killing ban
- More Latino than white students admitted to UC
- Suspects sought after man stabbed in Parlier
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- Easter Brunch recipe
- Accuweather Forecast
36 min ago
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed...
59 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
24 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos