BP sues rig owner for $40B; blames it for disaster
NEW ORLEANS -- BP is suing Transocean for at least $40 billion in damages, accusing the rig owner of causing last year's deadly blowout in the Gulf of Mexico that led to the worst offshore oil spill in U.S. history.
The British oil giant also is suing the maker of the device that failed to stop the calamitous oil spill.
The developments came in separate court filings in federal court in New Orleans on Wednesday, the one-year anniversary of the disaster.
BP says every single safety system and device and well control procedure on the Deepwater Horizon rig failed. It also says Cameron International provided a blowout preventer with a faulty design.
Eleven people were killed when the rig exploded on April 20, 2010, leading to more than 200 million gallons of oil spewing from an undersea well.
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- Copper thieves flood Tower District businesses
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room beating
- Valley experts give advice after Target accounts hacked
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Consumer Watch: Handheld video gaming devices 59 min ago
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Freeze impacts one Valley farmer's tropical fruit harvest
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- In-N-Out opens in Hanford 54 min ago
- City of Fresno hiring to help city development
- Dozens injured at partial London theater collapse
- Murders, car thefts, robberies up in Visalia other crimes down
- Consumer Watch: Handheld video gaming devices
55 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos