Tornado sightings shake North Carolina residents
RALEIGH -- Storm weary Triangle residents were threatened with more severe weather Thursday as a frontal boundary moved through central North Carolina.
The National Weather Service issued Tornado Warnings for Bladen, Cumberland, Duplin, Lenoir, Robeson, and Sampson counties before cancelling them. One storm travelled east of Clinton, but police there said there were no reports of damage.
Authorities said Thursday afternoon that they had received unconfirmed reports of twisters and trees and power lines are down in several western Carolina communities.
Thousands are also without power. Duke Energy reported about 9,000 customers without service and Progress Energy reported nearly 10,000 were in the dark.
The damage early Thursday was concentrated near the communities of Little River and Saw Mills, said LouAnne Kincade, spokeswoman for Caldwell County, N.C.
A house was destroyed in Scaly, near the North Carolina-Georgia state line. Officials in Hot Springs in Madison County, near the North Carolina-Tennessee state line, said overnight storms destroyed and damaged some roofs. Strong winds brought down trees and power lines in Henderson and Transylvania counties in the early morning hours.
Central North Carolina is still recovering from April 16 storms that killed 23 people and displaced hundreds. Many survivors remain in temporary housing.
april 2011 tornados, national/world
- Man arrested for beating outside Elbow Room 29 min ago
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced 55 min ago
- Valley farmers see minimal damage to citrus crops
- Fresno State to play USC Las Vegas Bowl
- 2 arrested in Tulare Co for allegedly shooting man several times 18 min ago
- 4 displaced after Central Fresno house fire 23 min ago
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Rain could pose threat to Valley orange crops
- Toys for Tots Marathon Weekend 2013
- Low elevation snow catches some off guard
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Man wanted for shooting near Fresno ice rink arrested
- Fresno State defeats Utah State 24-17
- Train hits pedestrian and dog in Central Fresno
- New Jersey restaurant parts ways with gay...
35 min ago
- Four displaced in Central Fresno house fire
34 min ago