Tornado sightings shake North Carolina residents
RALEIGH -- Storm weary Triangle residents were threatened with more severe weather Thursday as a frontal boundary moved through central North Carolina.
The National Weather Service issued Tornado Warnings for Bladen, Cumberland, Duplin, Lenoir, Robeson, and Sampson counties before cancelling them. One storm travelled east of Clinton, but police there said there were no reports of damage.
Authorities said Thursday afternoon that they had received unconfirmed reports of twisters and trees and power lines are down in several western Carolina communities.
Thousands are also without power. Duke Energy reported about 9,000 customers without service and Progress Energy reported nearly 10,000 were in the dark.
The damage early Thursday was concentrated near the communities of Little River and Saw Mills, said LouAnne Kincade, spokeswoman for Caldwell County, N.C.
A house was destroyed in Scaly, near the North Carolina-Georgia state line. Officials in Hot Springs in Madison County, near the North Carolina-Tennessee state line, said overnight storms destroyed and damaged some roofs. Strong winds brought down trees and power lines in Henderson and Transylvania counties in the early morning hours.
Central North Carolina is still recovering from April 16 storms that killed 23 people and displaced hundreds. Many survivors remain in temporary housing.
april 2011 tornados, national/world
- 5.7 earthquake strikes northeast of Chico
- BBQ101 at Caruthers High School
- Parlier homicide victim identified as Francisco Esquivel-Lucio
- Maldonado family sues Fresno over underground bike path
- Fire destroys the Oakhurst Lodge
- Fresno Police looking for robbery suspect
- Bicyclist hit by big rig in Madera County
- Jurors deadlock on Jodi Arias penalty
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
- Man allegedly downloads child porn at McDonald's
- Obama defends drone strikes but says no cure-all
- Crisis Map of Moore, Oklahoma Tornado Damage
- 4 arrested after exchanging gunfire with police
- Yellow Jacket iPhone stun gun case
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos