Quake hits western Turkey, reports of injuries
ANKARA, Turkey -- An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 5.9 hit western Turkey on Thursday, and there were reports of casualties and damaged buildings in one town.
At least six aftershocks, the strongest with a preliminary magnitude of 4.6 shook Kutahya, the observatory said.
NTV television cited a resident in Simav as saying some buildings were damaged. Most of the town was without electricity.
Hatice Unlu, a resident of the town of Tavsanli in Kutahya province, told TV8 channel that the temblor caused great panic.
"Furniture swayed and plates fell on the floor. I struggled to save my computer before rushing out," Unlu said. "We fear to return home."
The quake was felt as far as the Aegean city of Izmir, northwestern city of Bursa, Istanbul and the city of Tekirdag in the Thrace.
Earthquakes are frequent in Turkey, which is crossed by faultlines.
In March last year, a 6.0-magnitude quake knocked down stone and mud-brick houses in five villages in Elazig province in eastern Turkey, killing 51 people. In 2003, a 6.4-magnitude earthquake killed 177 people in the southeastern city of Bingol, including 84 children whose school dormitory collapsed.
In 1999, two earthquakes with a magnitude of more than 7 struck northwestern Turkey, killing about 18,000 people.
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors 33 min ago
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea 41 min ago
- Public tickets to the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl sold out
- Calif senator: Revenge porn law should include selfies
- Mega Million Winning Numbers
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Scams can include investments with friends
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
34 min ago
- Easy ways to make holiday parties festive
33 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos