Dog dies from cage dryer at PETCO, lawsuit filed
FRESNO, California (KFSN) -- A lawsuit has been filed against PETCO, after a dog grooming accident that killed a woman's beloved pet.
Teresa Gilland took her Lhasa Apso "Sadie" to be groomed at a PETCO in Fair Oaks in 2008. She says Sadie was placed in a cage drier -- an enclosed kennel used to dry off dogs after a bath. Sadie became ill while in the dryer. When Teresa rushed her to a vet, it was too late to save her.
The vet report shows the dog had internal burn injuries and bleeding caused by heat. Now, Teresa is suing the company and demanding that cage driers be banned from all grooming salons.
"It's nothing you can see, it's not out there for the public to see," said Gilland. "It's an enclosed kennel and they blow hot air in there.
PETCO issued a response to Teresa's claims, saying the company is very sad for the loss of the dog.
- Fresno cop investigated for auto theft, drugs
- Valley Sikhs speak out on bullying report
- Man missing near Shaver Lake found alive and well
- Malaysia widens search for missing plane
- Musical mavericks make waves 29 min ago
- Pet Adoption of the Week: Lady Bug
- Fallout from Target's data breach
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno
- Rockets strike Israel, jeopardizing truce talk
- Photos: 2 dead after car hits crowd at SXSW
- Photos: $2.35 million Modern Family home for sale
- Driver kills 2, injures 23 at SXSW festival, police say
- Searchers scour rubble after gas explosion kills 7
- Golden Gate Bridge survivor speaks at Fresno State