Admitted would-be burglar finds body in trunk in Houston
HOUSTON -- A man police say was looking for items to steal from a car made a gruesome discovery. The man opened up the trunk of that car and found a body inside.
He made the discovery after finding the car running but parked along Normandy near the East Freeway. The motive in this case has not been determined and there is no suspect, but police have told us that this murder may have been drug-related.
Click for more from KTRK-TV in Houston
At 4am, a man driving with his wife and four-month-old baby spotted a Chevrolet on the side of the road. The engine was running, and the keys were right in the ignition. He told police he decided to see if there was anything worth stealing inside. It turns out there was a dead body in the trunk, so he called 911.
Police say the victim is a white male in his 20s. He had been shot at least once and left lying face down.
"We do know that he had a gunshot wound to the chest," said HPD Homicide Investigator Jack A. Harvey. "Also, inside his pants he had a quantity of some unknown pills inside of a ziplock bag. At this point the investigation is still ongoing. We're still looking to try to identify him and find out what led to this situation."
Detectives believe the victim was shot somewhere else and then the body was placed in the trunk. Since the man was carrying unlabeled pills, investigators suspect the motive for this crime could be drug-related. There is also evidence of a struggle between the man and his killer.
Harvey said, "The gunshot wound was the most prominent wound. However, he also had some abrasions to his face. He had some swelling, bruising."
Detectives say that the man who made the discovery is not a suspect.
- Deputies shoot, kill suspect west of Fresno
- Man shot in head while sitting in Fresno apartment
- Man arrested for exposing himself in front of kids
- Captain of sunken SKorean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Credit card skimming device found at gas station 5 min ago
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge
- Suspects sought after man stabbed in Parlier
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- California farmers to get more water
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Easter Brunch recipe
abc30.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos