Admitted would-be burglar finds body in trunk in Houston
HOUSTON -- A man police say was looking for items to steal from a car made a gruesome discovery. The man opened up the trunk of that car and found a body inside.
He made the discovery after finding the car running but parked along Normandy near the East Freeway. The motive in this case has not been determined and there is no suspect, but police have told us that this murder may have been drug-related.
Click for more from KTRK-TV in Houston
At 4am, a man driving with his wife and four-month-old baby spotted a Chevrolet on the side of the road. The engine was running, and the keys were right in the ignition. He told police he decided to see if there was anything worth stealing inside. It turns out there was a dead body in the trunk, so he called 911.
Police say the victim is a white male in his 20s. He had been shot at least once and left lying face down.
"We do know that he had a gunshot wound to the chest," said HPD Homicide Investigator Jack A. Harvey. "Also, inside his pants he had a quantity of some unknown pills inside of a ziplock bag. At this point the investigation is still ongoing. We're still looking to try to identify him and find out what led to this situation."
Detectives believe the victim was shot somewhere else and then the body was placed in the trunk. Since the man was carrying unlabeled pills, investigators suspect the motive for this crime could be drug-related. There is also evidence of a struggle between the man and his killer.
Harvey said, "The gunshot wound was the most prominent wound. However, he also had some abrasions to his face. He had some swelling, bruising."
Detectives say that the man who made the discovery is not a suspect.
- Pedestrian killed in HWY 99 hit and run in Fresno 32 min ago
- Massage parlor shutdown after tips of prostitution
- Man killed in rollover crash near Selma 27 min ago
- Tentative order in fight over Fresno water rate hikes
- HS rumor played role in Dinuba sexual battery case
- Fresno man gets prison in fatal hit-and-run crash
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- New effort to honor Hmong veterans
- Counting down to the Clovis Rodeo
- Fresno Co won't change Williamson Act tax standards
- Firefighters preparing for fire season at Lost Lake Park
- Suspect injures Fresno Police dog, officers say
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- Porterville prepares for Iris Festival
abc30.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos