Fort Bragg general faces sex charges
FORT BRAGG, N.C. -- A high-ranking Army officer based at Fort Bragg faces sex charges according to military officials.
Brig. Gen. Jeffrey A. Sinclair is accused of forcible sodomy and other violations of the Uniform Code of Military Justice.
The charges were announced at a news conference Wednesday afternoon at Fort Bragg.
Sinclair is a former Fort Bragg deputy commanding general for support with the 82nd Airborne Division, according to a biography on the Fort Bragg website. He was named to the post in July 2010.
Officials said Sinclair has been under investigation for some time. He was sent home from Afghanistan in May.
Other charges include attempted violation of an order, engaging in inappropriate relationships, misuse of a government travel card, possessing alcohol and pornography while deployed, maltreatment of subordinates, filing fraudulent claims, engaging in conduct unbecoming an officer and a gentleman, and engaging in conduct prejudicial to good order and discipline, or of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces.
At the news conference Wednesday afternoon, an Army spokesperson said the next step in the case would be an Article 32 hearing. That's a military hearing to determine if the case has merit and should proceed.
A date for that hearing has not been scheduled, but the spokesperson said it would be open to the public.
sex crimes, national/world
- Crews search for Fresno man near Shaver Lake
- Los Banos mom kicks teen in the head, police say
- Fresno's most notorious mass murder remembered
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach over trash dispute
- Fresno police connect vintage car thefts to guns, gangs
- Undercover: CPD stopping alcohol sales to minors
- Almond crop expected to take a massive hit
- Honey oil explosion ends with felony arrest
- Enforcing water restrictions in Madera County and City
- Requests to carry concealed guns surges in Calif.
- Fresno State launches Good Samaritan Fund
- Teachers are in demand at VUSD
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- California seeks to dam 3 Delta channels