Russell Means, Indian activist, actor, dies at 72
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (KFSN) -- Russell Means, a former American Indian Movement activist and actor, has died. He was 72 years old.
A Oglala Sioux Tribe spokeswoman said Means died Monday at his ranch in Porcupine, S.D. Means announced last year that he developed inoperable throat cancer. He had said that he was going to use traditional American Indian remedies instead of mainstream medical treatments.
Means helped lead the 1973 uprising at Wounded Knee. The American Indian Movement was founded in the late 1960s to protest the U.S. government's treatment of Native Americans.
The group was the subject of controversy due to its alleged involvement in the slaying of a tribe member and the several gun battles with federal officers during the 71-day occupation of Wounded Knee.
Means often avoided the media, but when he spoke out publicly, he remained steadfast in his defense of AIM. He denied the group ever promoted violence.
Means and AIM co-founder Dennis Banks were charged in 1974 for their role in the Wounded Knee uprising, but after a trial that lasted several months, a judge threw the charges out on grounds of government misconduct.
Means is also known as an actor for his roles in movies such as "The Last of the Mohicans" and "Natural Born Killers."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Pedestrian killed in Fresno HWY 99 hit and run 48 min ago
- Trial wrapping up for ex-Clovis cop Kyle Pennington
- Man killed in rollover crash near Selma
- Tentative order in fight over Fresno water rate hikes
- HS rumor played role in Dinuba sexual battery case
- Fresno man gets prison in fatal hit-and-run crash
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- New effort to honor Hmong veterans
- Counting down to the Clovis Rodeo
- Fresno Co won't change Williamson Act tax standards
- Firefighters preparing for fire season at Lost Lake Park
- Suspect injures Fresno Police dog, officers say
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- Porterville prepares for Iris Festival
- Day 99 of Rhonda's 100 Day Fitness Challenge
57 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos