Supreme Court takes no action on same sex marriage yet
WASHINGTON -- There has been no announcement today from the Supreme Court on its plans for dealing with the court fights over gay marriage.
Justices met Friday to discuss when and how to address the claim that the Constitution gives people the right to marry -- even someone of their own gender.
The next opportunity for an announcement on gay marriage cases is 9:30 a.m. Monday, though the justices could also put off a decision until their next private meeting in a week.
Instead of dealing with the larger issue, the justices could put that aside for now, and focus on a narrower dispute -- involving whether Congress can prevent legally married gay Americans from receiving federal benefits that are otherwise available to married couples.
- Fresno State's new president has been selected 54 min ago
- Arsonist believed to be on the loose near Orange Cove
- Family rocked by a violent tragedy finds comfort
- Mother of convicted rapist attacks ABC30 camera
- Two Fresno State students share their stories from Oklahoma
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- Xbox One to go on sale in late 2013
- 2016 Super Bowl to be played in 49ers' new stadium
- Crews race to find survivors of Oklahoma tornado
- Mysterious illness kills 2 in southeast Alabama
- Merced Co. may allow fireworks in unincorporated areas
- FUSD gives lessons on eating healthy
- Standoff ends peacefully in Central Fresno
- Jodi Arias asks for life in prison
- Valley quick to help Oklahoma with disaster...
34 min ago