Supreme Court takes no action on same sex marriage yet
WASHINGTON -- There has been no announcement today from the Supreme Court on its plans for dealing with the court fights over gay marriage.
Justices met Friday to discuss when and how to address the claim that the Constitution gives people the right to marry -- even someone of their own gender.
The next opportunity for an announcement on gay marriage cases is 9:30 a.m. Monday, though the justices could also put off a decision until their next private meeting in a week.
Instead of dealing with the larger issue, the justices could put that aside for now, and focus on a narrower dispute -- involving whether Congress can prevent legally married gay Americans from receiving federal benefits that are otherwise available to married couples.
- 3 boys missing in Dinuba
- Wanted Fresno burglar caught on camera
- Body of missing Delano woman found in canal
- Two injured in Madera drive-by shooting
- Libyan officials say US teacher killed in Benghazi
- US economy grows at 3.6 percent rate in 3rd quarter
- Foothill residents preparing for freezing temps
- US jobless claims drop to 316,000, as layoffs slow
- Video: Fresno's homeless search for shelter from...
- Serial college campus sex offender to be released soon
- Toys for Tots warehouse sits empty
- Tips to protect Fido from the freeze
- Freeze threatens unique tropical farm
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover