Dick's Sporting Goods stores suspend sales of certain rifles
PITTSBURGH -- A sporting goods chain says it's suspending sales of modern rifles nationwide because of the school shooting in Connecticut.
Dick's Sporting Goods also says it's removing all guns from display at its store closest to Newtown, where the massacre took place.
Authorities say a gunman killed 26 people, mostly children, with a military-style rifle at Sandy Hook Elementary School on Friday after killing his mother. He then killed himself.
A statement posted on Dick's website expresses sympathy for the victims' families. It says sales of modern sporting rifles will be suspended during "this time of national mourning."
Dick's declined to answer Associated Press questions about how long the suspension would last or which weapons were being pulled.
Pittsburgh-based Dick's Sporting Goods Inc. has more than 500 stores in 44 states.
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting 7 min ago
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard 35 min ago
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- Man dancing on power pole in Oxnard lifted...
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals 38 min ago
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved...
47 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos