Social Security Administration phasing out paper checks
FRESNO, California (KFSN) -- Social Security recipients have less than two months to switch to electronic payments. Paper checks are being phased out in an effort to cut costs.
About 93 percent of payments are now made electronically. But about five million checks are still mailed each month. The treasury department says that mailing costs $4.6 million a month.
Those who fail to switch over will still get paper checks after March 1st. A treasury spokesman says they will contact those people in a more personal, direct way, to ask them to switch.
- Juvenile seriously injured in Planada shooting
- Lawsuit filed after arrest made in Elbow Room fight 14 min ago
- Helicopter crashes while warming citrus grove
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno
- Man arrested for beating outside Elbow Room
- Truck driver pinned while making delivery in Fresno
- Pulmonary Rehab: Healing with music
- Derek Carr not on Heisman Trophy finalist list
- Surviving the mall's food court
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face US charges
- Selma High grad, Bobby Cox, elected to Hall of Fame
- 3 cars and FAX bus involved in crash
- Hanford man found dead inside a car in Armona
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Fresno man