Social Security Administration phasing out paper checks
FRESNO, California (KFSN) -- Social Security recipients have less than two months to switch to electronic payments. Paper checks are being phased out in an effort to cut costs.
About 93 percent of payments are now made electronically. But about five million checks are still mailed each month. The treasury department says that mailing costs $4.6 million a month.
Those who fail to switch over will still get paper checks after March 1st. A treasury spokesman says they will contact those people in a more personal, direct way, to ask them to switch.
- Fire destroys the Oakhurst Lodge
- 4 arrested after exchanging gunfire with police
- Yellow Jacket iPhone stun gun case
- Valley home invasion suspect arrested in Reno
- Fresno baby born on the way to Clovis Community
- Unemployment applications fall by 23,000
- Fresno pot shop closes amid ABC30 investigation
- New Fresno State president has strong Valley roots
- Dr. Joe Castro named new Fresno State president
- Authorities investigate a homicide in Fresno Co.
- Merced County launches Citizen Alert system
- Budget improvements for Fresno Unified
- Andy Vidak wins 16th State Senate District
- Former Bullard Star Taylor Gets Coaching Start at Kerman
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos