Police: Former College Professor threatens to blow up Liberty Bell
PHILADELPHIA (KFSN) -- A former professor at Arizona State University is in custody tonight for threatening to blow up the iconic Liberty Bell.
Police say 41-year-old Carlos Balsas claimed to have explosives as he walked through the security check into the historic site of the bell in Philadelphia Saturday.
A bomb squad responded after two black backpacks were found nearby, but they did not find any explosive materials.
Balsas is facing multiple charges, including making terrorist threats and bomb threats.
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for jet with 239 aboard 6 min ago
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos