Stranger charged for slapping crying toddler in face on airplane
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A man is out of a job and facing federal charges for smacking a child during a flight Sunday morning.
Sixty-year-old Joe Rickey Hundley was accused of using a racial slur and then slapping 19-month-old Jonah.
The toddler and his mother, Jessica Bennett, were on a Delta flight from Minneapolis to Atlanta when the incident happened.
Jonah's mother says the man next to her on the plane was drinking during the flight and constantly complaining about little Jonah.
When the plane began its descent Jonah's mother says he started crying, and that's when Hundley lashed out at them both.
Jonah's mother says Hundley used a racial slur and slapped her child near the eye, causing him to bleed and cry louder.
Bennett said, "I could not believe he would say something like that to a baby or about a baby and then to hit him, I felt like I was in another world. I was shaking."
Jonah's mother says other passengers came to her aid and the two were given a new seat.
Hundley is now facing federal assault charges. If he's found guilty he could get up to a year in prison.
- Perez and Barrera found guilty of 1st degree murder
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital 6 min ago
- Photos: Easter traditions explained
- Michaels Crafts data breach, nearly 3M compromised
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested 3 min ago
- Twin boys fight off carjacker in Texas 55 min ago
- 'Family Annihilator' fugitive could be in California
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police
- Bogus Fresno Bee letter adds intrigue to DA campaign
- Visalia approves limiting residents' water use
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Gas prices rise as temperatures heat up