Texas man giving away shotguns to women
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Texas man is taking a controversial step to lower crime in his neighborhood.
Kyle Coplen with the Armed Citizen Project says he plans to give away shotguns to women in crime-stricken neighborhoods in Houston, and train them for free.
He says he wants them to be able to protect themselves if they ever become victims of a crime.
Coplen said, "We're looking at deterring crime by empowering citizens. They're easy to use, easy to learn how to use, they're not very expensive. And they are just all around great home defense weapons."
Women have to pass a background check, take safety, legal and tactical training classes, before they can get the free weapon.
Not everyone is supporting the idea; gun activists say the giveaway will do nothing to curb violence.
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher
- Arrest made in Tulare County officer-involved shooting
- Surveillance video released in Hanford murder
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Photos: Massive fire damages vacant building in SF
- Mariposa is putting limits on marijuana grows
- Noticeable drop in Valley flu cases
- New painkiller 10 times stronger than Vicodin
- Athletes embracing "extreme" exercise trends
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Tiger Cubs make big debut at Fresno Chaffee Zoo
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Accuweather Forecast
34 min ago