Texas man giving away shotguns to women
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Texas man is taking a controversial step to lower crime in his neighborhood.
Kyle Coplen with the Armed Citizen Project says he plans to give away shotguns to women in crime-stricken neighborhoods in Houston, and train them for free.
He says he wants them to be able to protect themselves if they ever become victims of a crime.
Coplen said, "We're looking at deterring crime by empowering citizens. They're easy to use, easy to learn how to use, they're not very expensive. And they are just all around great home defense weapons."
Women have to pass a background check, take safety, legal and tactical training classes, before they can get the free weapon.
Not everyone is supporting the idea; gun activists say the giveaway will do nothing to curb violence.
- Fresno police target gangs in new operation
- $20 thousand reward for missing Fresno man
- 2010 Greyhound Bus crash lawsuit settled
- Ex-Fresno paralegal found guilty of murder
- Uruguay legalizes sale, production of marijuana
- Warming tent setup for homeless in Merced County
- Debate on Fresno's water rate hike gets heated
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
- Lemoore Naval Air Station pilots return home
- Fatal Planada shooting alarmingly similar to another
- Sonic apologizes for racist sign
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Lawsuit filed after arrest made in Elbow Room fight
- 6 missing people found alive in northern Nevada
- Accuweather Forecast
45 min ago