Obama urges Supreme Court to overturn Prop 8
WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama is throwing his support behind the push to overturn California's Proposition 8, which bans same-sex marriage.
The White House on Thursday filed a friend-of-the-court brief with the Supreme Court, marking the first time a U.S. president has urged the high court to expand the right of gays and lesbians to wed.
California is one of eight states that give gay couples all the benefits of marriage through civil unions or domestic partnership but don't allow them to wed. The denial of marriage to same-sex couples, "particularly where California at the same time grants same-sex partners all the substantive rights of marriage, violates equal protection," the administration said.
Apple, Google, Facebook, Amazon and hundreds of other businesses are also filing briefs in support of gay marriage, as are well-known Republicans such as Jon Huntsman, Meg Whitman and Clint Eastwood.
Proposition 8 goes before the Supreme Court in late March. If the court overturns the voter-approved Prop. 8, it would likely result in gay marriage becoming legal in the seven other states: Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Nevada, New Jersey, Oregon and Rhode Island.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
same-sex marriage, washington d.c., president barack obama, u.s. supreme court, national news
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno 7 min ago
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Fresno teen with cystic fibrosis to get lung transplant
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
- Free health care enrollment fair held in...
7 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos