Investigators: Boston suspect in serious condition
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Saturday morning one of the two suspects in the Boston marathon bombings is waking up in a hospital bed.
Police took him into custody Friday after a dramatic man-hunt. The city of Boston celebrated and felt relieved after hearing of the suspects capture.
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, was found hiding in a boat that was in a yard of a home in Watertown, Massachusetts Friday night.
The teen was arrested after Boston and its suburbs were put on a day-long lock-down. More than 1 million residents were told to stay inside as swat-teams went door-to-door searching for the suspect.
Warren Tolman, a Watertown resident said, "It's unbelievable, I was cooped up in my house for almost the last 24 hours wondering if the guy was in my backyard, if he was in my garage or in my neighborhood."
The suspect was found cowering and bleeding after a shoot-out with police hours earlier that left his accused co-conspirator, his 26-year old brother, Tamurlun dead. Investigators say they tracked the pair down after they executed an MIT officer then led police on a wild chase.
Tsarnaev, an ethnic Chechnyanand and U.S. citizen lived in Boston for more than a decade. His arrest was praised by the president and by the community who is still in mourning.
Heather Budda, Watertown resident said, "It brings a sigh of relief and I think that it really allows us to start the healing process."
The suspect was last listed in serious condition in a nearby hospital. The extent of his injuries is unknown.
Investigators had still been unable to question him about his motive.
- Selma High grad, Bobby Cox, elected to Hall of Fame 3 min ago
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced
- Fresno State to play USC Las Vegas Bowl
- Valley farmers see minimal damage to citrus crops
- National memorial to be held for Nelson Mandela
- New Jersey restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Avatars helping athletes
- Costly headphone disappoints
- 2 arrested in Tulare Co for allegedly shooting man several times
- 4 displaced after Central Fresno house fire
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Rain could pose threat to Valley orange crops
- Toys for Tots Marathon Weekend 2013