Brazilian woman survives harpoon shooting
RIO DE JANEIRO -- A 28-year-old woman miraculously survived after her husband accidentally shot her in the mouth with a harpoon, Brazilian officials said Wednesday.
The Rio de Janeiro State Health Department said in a statement that the woman's husband was cleaning his spear gun when it went off, firing a harpoon that hit her cervical spine.
Elisangela Borborema Rosa was rushed to the hospital and underwent emergency surgery after Monday's incident in the coastal city of Arraial do Cabo.
The statement quotes neurosurgeon Allan da Costa as saying that the harpoon came within 1 centimeter (less than half an inch) of killing the woman. He said he expects a full recovery.
A police officer in Arrial do Cabo said by telephone that officials are looking into the case.
"Everything indicates it was an accident, but we are investigating. We don't think the husband tried to kill her," said the officer, who cited department policy in declining to let her name be used.
"But once she fully recovers we will be able to question her and get a clearer picture of what happened."
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- 'Family Annihilator' fugitive could be in California 54 min ago
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police
- Bogus Fresno Bee letter adds intrigue to DA campaign
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested 33 min ago
- Salmon moved on the San Joaquin River
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Bloody suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' sequel in the works?
- Applications for US jobless aid edge up to 304,000
- Drought intensifying pest problems on farms
- Chelsea Clinton expecting 1st child
- Texas seizes polygamist group's secluded ranch 14 min ago
- Supermarket savings, getting more from your store
abc30.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos