Young pilot completes flight around world
FRESNO, CA (KFSN) -- A young pilot touched down in in California on Saturday, completing his flight around the world and breaking a world record at the same time.
Jack Wiegand, 20, landed Saturday evening, completing his mission to be the youngest person to fly solo around the world. Wiegand left Fresno Yosemite International Airport May 1 and logged about 150 hours in the air in a small single-engine plane.
A few mishaps and bad weather delayed his return, but Wiegand said it was all worth it.
"It's been an amazing trip whether it be waiting three weeks in japan or trying to fly around thunderstorms in India or being intercepted by an F-18 fighter jet, it's all been amazing," said Wiegand.
Wiegand also received a proclamation from the City of Fresno naming June 28 "Jack Wiegand Day." Wiegand says while the trip was a great experience, he is very happy to be back home.
fresno, fresno county, national/world
- 2 arrested on sex trafficking charges
- Police block Mexico hospital, 6 may have radiation 6 min ago
- Amber Alert issued for 14-year-old Kennewick Girl
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95 35 min ago
- Fresno burglary suspect arrested in Central Fresno
- 3 arrested for mail theft in Madera 52 min ago
- One person shot near the ice rink at the Fulton Mall
- Small Hmong farms losing crops to bitter cold
- US unemployment falls from 7.3 to 7 percent
- Two of three missing Dinuba children found safe
- Closing arguments in murder trial against paralegal
- Candlelight Christmas Tractor Parade and Wine Stroll
- Effort to complete Herndon bike trail underway
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Fire Safety