Young pilot completes flight around world
FRESNO, CA (KFSN) -- A young pilot touched down in in California on Saturday, completing his flight around the world and breaking a world record at the same time.
Jack Wiegand, 20, landed Saturday evening, completing his mission to be the youngest person to fly solo around the world. Wiegand left Fresno Yosemite International Airport May 1 and logged about 150 hours in the air in a small single-engine plane.
A few mishaps and bad weather delayed his return, but Wiegand said it was all worth it.
"It's been an amazing trip whether it be waiting three weeks in japan or trying to fly around thunderstorms in India or being intercepted by an F-18 fighter jet, it's all been amazing," said Wiegand.
Wiegand also received a proclamation from the City of Fresno naming June 28 "Jack Wiegand Day." Wiegand says while the trip was a great experience, he is very happy to be back home.
fresno, fresno county, national/world
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Man dies after being shot in the chest in Parlier
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard 24 min ago
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- One person dead in Northwest Fresno accident
- Near drownings on the rise 10 min ago
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- AP: FBI investigates prison company
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store 47 min ago
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- Fresno residents can dispose of old tires for free
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Accuweather Forecast
55 min ago
- Good Sports: Valley TNTV
45 min ago