Several people reportedly being held captive in Texas
HOUSTON -- Authorities are trying out sort out details at a scene where several people were reportedly being held against their will in north Houston.
Police got a call just before 8:30am about several people held inside a garage in the 8600 block of White Castle Lane. Officers arrived to find the front door nailed shut, but once inside the home they discovered what they described as a 'prison room' with trash everywhere. There were no beds or chairs in the room.
Police say four men, ages 79, 54, 74 and about 65, were being kept in the room against their will. One victim says he's been there for about 10 years. Three of the men were physically unable to walk and were tranported to LBJ Hospital. The fourth victim is in slightly better condition.
Three women and a suspect live in the house, according to authorities. One person has been taken into custody. There's no word yet what charges that person could face.
"One of them seemed to think he was picked up off the street and brought here," said HPD Sgt. JW McCoy. "In exchange for beer and cigarettess and a place to stay, he had to turn over his Social Security check."
One of the men told Eyewitness News he had been staying at the house for about six months, and while he had no desire to leave, he did say living conditions were not good.
Representatives from adult protective services are being called in for assistance.
Our sister station KTRK-TV HOUSTON, TX contributed to this report.
- Malaysian official: Investigators conclude jet hijacked 55 min ago
- SW Fresno crash sends 12 people to hospital
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer 40 min ago
- FDIC sues 16 big banks that set key rate
- Suspected gang members arrested in Winton murder 42 min ago
- Valley residents seeing more black widow spiders
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Visalia school unveils new solar structures 8 min ago
- Weather to warm up for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- States sue over California's egg laws
- Sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- YouTube: Newborn Gorilla Recovers After Emergency...
- John Hancock observatory in Chicago to Tilt