Egypt's ousted leader Hosni Mubarak released
CAIRO -- Egypt's ousted leader Hosni Mubarak has been released from prison and private TV stations have shown footage of his arrival at a military hospital in a Cairo suburb where he will be held under house arrest.
Prime Minister Hazem el-Beblawi has ordered that Mubarak be put under house arrest as part of the emergency measures imposed this month after a wave of violence sparked by Islamist leader Mohammed Morsi's ouster. Thursday's move followed a court decision ordering his release in relation to charges of receiving gifts from a state-owned newspaper.
The house arrest decision appeared designed to ease some of the criticism over Mubarak being freed from prison and ensure that he appears in court next week for a separate trial.
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- Elderly woman critically injured in Fresno house fire
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Homicide investigated at Porterville Developmental Center
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- Valley business gear up for next Fresno State game
- FUSD improves nationally but still behind peers
- Wood burning contributes to bad air quality in the Valley
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
- Health Watch: Pinpointing prostate cancer
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos