Rare Sumatran tiger cub dies in London Zoo
LONDON -- A rare Sumatran tiger cub has died at the London Zoo three weeks after its birth was recorded by a hidden camera.
Zoo officials said Tuesday that the cub had drowned at the edge of a pool inside the tigers' enclosure.
The cub was born on Sept. 22 and died on Saturday. It had not been named and officials said its gender had not been determined.
Officials said they believe the cub's mother, Melati, carried it outside to the pool area. A review is underway to determine what went wrong.
Curator Malcolm Fitzpatrick said the staff was "heartbroken" about the death.
The cub's birth had been captured on video that was widely distributed.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices
- Fresno cop investigated for auto theft, drugs
- Trevor Bishop charged with murder in child death
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Community bands together for Officer Jon Linzey
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- High court upholds Delta Smelt protection
- Man who woke up inside body bag dies
- Malaysia widens search for missing plane
- Man missing near Shaver Lake found alive and well
- More than 400 guns were seized in SoCal
- Family headed to DC for father's Medal of Honor
- Valley Sikhs speak out on bullying report
- Police fight spike in Tower District crime
- Peach Blossom Festival growing each year