Rare Sumatran tiger cub dies in London Zoo
LONDON -- A rare Sumatran tiger cub has died at the London Zoo three weeks after its birth was recorded by a hidden camera.
Zoo officials said Tuesday that the cub had drowned at the edge of a pool inside the tigers' enclosure.
The cub was born on Sept. 22 and died on Saturday. It had not been named and officials said its gender had not been determined.
Officials said they believe the cub's mother, Melati, carried it outside to the pool area. A review is underway to determine what went wrong.
Curator Malcolm Fitzpatrick said the staff was "heartbroken" about the death.
The cub's birth had been captured on video that was widely distributed.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Toys for Tots needs just over 10k gifts to meet goal
- Tulare County opens fraud hotline
- Big Sur wildfire destroys fire chief's home
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $636 million
- 3 Fresno State Bulldogs named SI All-Americans Honorable Mentions
- Inmate escapes from Merced County Jail
- 1 dead 1 injured in Merced C.O. shooting
- Valley thieves target truck tailgates
- Valley thieves steal packages from front doors
abc30.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos