New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio set off a furor after using knife and fork to eat pizza
NEW YORK -- New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio got his pizza with smoked mozzarella, sausage and a dash of scandal.
The newly installed mayor unintentionally spiced up a political meeting at a Staten Island pizza joint Friday by digging into his slice with a knife and fork.
That's a no-no for many New Yorkers, who believe pizza should be folded and eaten with their hands.
Photos of a utensil-wielding de Blasio spread across Twitter and prompted mock outrage, some even calling for his impeachment. It was reminiscent of a "Seinfeld" episode in which characters make a stir by eating a candy bar with flatware.
De Blasio, who prides himself on his Italian-American heritage, later explained that he eats pizza the way they do in Italy. He starts with a knife and fork, then uses his hands.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices
new york city, national/world
- Marathon tragedy inspires woman to help save lives
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight
- Man dies following shooting at Fresno apartment
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate SoCal hospital attacks
- Sikh community celebrates Vaisakhi in Caruthers
- Grim work for families as more bodies discovered
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al-Qaida training camps
- Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- 7,000 Easter eggs rain down from helicopter
- Health Watch: 5 clues to Alzheimer's
- Consumer Reports evaluates top toilet papers
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Prizefighter Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76