Ethiopian Airlines flight hijacked; man in custody
FRESNO, Calif. -- An Ethiopian Airlines plane destined for Rome was forced to land early Monday in Geneva, where the hijacker was arrested, authorities said.
The airline said one of its planes had been "forced to proceed to Geneva." Its website said the flight landed safely and "all passengers and crew are safe." It gave no further details.
Swiss police said the plane made an unscheduled landing in the Swiss city at 6 a.m. (0500 GMT) and the hijacker was arrested. Police spokesman Jean-Philippe Brandt told The Associated Press that "the situation is under control" and nobody on the flight was injured.
Further details of the incident were to be released at a news conference in Geneva at 9 a.m. (0800 GMT).
Cairo airport officials said the pilot of the plane, flight 702, informed the control tower at Abu Simbel in southern Egypt that his plane had been hijacked. The pilot did not ask to land in Egypt, and the plane headed for Libyan airspace, they said. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to brief the media.
Geneva airport said departures would resume at 8.15 a.m. (0715 GMT) and arrivals at 8.45 a.m. (0745 GMT).
Frank Jordans in Berlin and Maamoun Youssef in Cairo contributed to this report.
- Bloody burglary suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- Applications for US jobless aid edge up to 304,000 51 min ago
- Valley cities among those where residents feel least safe
- Burglars steal firefighting tools from Forest Service
- 3 protesters killed in attack on Ukrainian base 43 min ago
- Gunmen attack Iraq military base, kill 10 soldiers 26 min ago
- Two dead after gunfire in the town of Lindcove
- Teen kicked in head taking selfie in front...
- Missing kid found stuck in coin-operated game
- Fresno County jail inmate death labeled a homicide
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach
- Honey oil safety class for firefighters in Fresno
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos