New poll numbers for GOP race
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The GOP race for the 19th congressional district seat is heating up as an exclusive new poll was released Friday.
Four candidates are vying for the chance to replace Congressman George Radanovich. Early voting is underway and there are 25 days left until votes are counted.
It looks like this four candidate battle is becoming a two horse race. But those who are trailing say the race is far from over.
The latest exclusive action news poll conducted by Survey USA shows former Fresno Mayor Jim Patterson and State Senator Jeff Denham in a statistical dead heat.
Only one percentage point separates the two hopefuls. Both candidates feel this contest is a two person race, and both also feel momentum is on their side.
"The Tea Party folks are helping. The taxpayers watchdog groups are helping. We've got a lot of grassroots help from ordinary people who really want to see a change," Jim Patterson said.
"Absentee ballots are out. People are casting their votes. It's now crunch time making sure that you're walking precincts. Going to neighbors door to door. Talking to people about what type of leadership style you're going to bring to our great nation's capitol," Jeff Denham.
Richard Pombo is doing just that, campaigning in Tuolumne County.
The former congressman is sitting third in the exclusive action news poll with 18 percent. He thinks the 19 percent of undecided voters could still swing the race his way.
"Obviously there's still a large undecided that's out there. But other independent polling that's been done has shown, come to a little different result. They're all, they have a margin of error in the polls as well," Richard Pombo said.
Rounding out the foursome is Fresno City Councilman Larry Westerlund.
He says a comeback is possible and points to another California race as evidence.
"Not perhaps unlike Steve Poizner. Whom now has come up from a 52 percent deficit or something like that. So we'll see. Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise," Larry Westerlund said.
In the democratic race Dr. Loraine Goodwin holds a 25 to 21 percent edge over Les Marsden.
Fifty four percent of the voters polled are still undecided.
fresno, jim patterson, jeff denham, larry westerlund, steve poizner, richard pombo, politics, tommy tran
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn 15 min ago
- Perez and Barrera found guilty of 1st degree murder
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Photos: Easter traditions explained
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested
- Twin boys fight off carjacker in Texas
- Michaels Crafts data breach, nearly 3M compromised
- 'Family Annihilator' fugitive could be in California
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police
- Bogus Fresno Bee letter adds intrigue to DA campaign
- Visalia approves limiting residents' water use
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested
- Gas prices rise as temperatures heat up