Polls open for Election Day
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- On this Election Day: the poll workers are trained, the voting machines are in place, now all that's needed now are voters for today's primary.
The downtown elections office opens at six this morning, most other polling places will welcome voters at seven. But before you head out today, check your polling place because some have moved or closed.
At Fresno County's election warehouse in Southeast Fresno, the absentee ballots have been slowly streaming in. But Fresno County elections supervisor Victor Salazar says he doesn't expect a pileup of mail-in ballots before the polls close tonight. He predicts only 30 to 32 percent of voters will cast a ballot.
"Overall there's a declining interest in this election but that's typical of the June primary gubernatorial elections."
More than 162,000 Fresno County voters requested absentee ballots this year. As of a week ago, just over 55,000 had been mailed back -- or 33 percent.
A good percentage of voters like Rudy Guadiana end up hand delivering their absentee ballots. "I procrastinate until the very end ... It gives me a little more time to look at some of the information they provide if I'm not aware of what's going on."
The Van Gerpen family cast their ballots at Fresno's elections office, like they always do every election. "I wish there were a way to encourage other people to exercise the rights we have here that's really, really important," said Fresno voter Nora Van Gerpen.
Because of budget cuts, Fresno County has 64 fewer polling places and 600 fewer workers this year. But the elections department wants to make the process as easy as possible.
Even if you have an absentee ballot at home that you forgot to mail in, you can turn it in at any polling place anywhere in the county. Or you can simply get a new ballot and vote. Just make sure that you destroy the old ballot at home.
election day, elections, politics, christine park
- One injured in Central Fresno drive-by shooting
- Animal shelter seeks donations to keep dogs warm
- Freezing temperatures take toll on small Valley farms
- Toys for Tots marathon kicks off at River Park
- Red Wave Gets To See Carr One Last Time
- Tips to keep cars running during cold weather 18 min ago
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95
- North Korea deports elderly Bay Area man
- Police block Mexico hospital, 6 may have radiation
- 2 arrested on sex trafficking charges
- Amber Alert issued for 14-year-old Kennewick Girl
- Fresno burglary suspect arrested in Central Fresno
- 3 arrested for mail theft in Madera
- One person shot near the ice rink at the Fulton Mall
- Experts provide tips to keep cars running...
49 min ago