Immigration outrage on Valley streets
FRESNO, California (KFSN) -- The modified law that went into effect Thursday was still too much for protesters to stay quiet. Well into a 48 hour sit a group of people are protesting against Arizona's illegal immigration law. The protest is just one of the many held in California and Arizona.
Dozens of protesters have been out since 3:00 p.m. Wednesday. When it's all said and done those from the Central Valley Youth Coalition will have been out at Courthouse Park for more than 48 hours straight.
"We won't let a similar law happen here in California." Said coordinator Jose Chavez.
Another group of protesters used Fresno Police Headquarters as a backdrop for their distrust in law enforcement regarding this hot button issue. Those supporting Arizona's fight against illegal immigration however, were heard loud and clear in north Fresno Thursday. Many say they stand side by side with the Grand Canyon state.
"They're saying if you're not going to do your law, we'll pass a law that's exactly the same and we'll do your job." Said Central Valley Tea Party member Brian Weldon.
But those wanting Arizona to enforce their law were outnumbered heavily on the west coast. In Los Angeles, a group formed a human chain in the middle of an intersection. They're upset the entire law wasn't blocked. In Phoenix hundreds of demonstrators came out in protest against its sheriff Joe Arpaio and Governor Jan Brewer, who is pushing forward to reinstate the original law with a federal appeals court.
"They need to step up, the feds do and do the job that they have responsibility to do." Brewer said.
immigration reform, arizona, politics, tommy tran
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes 80 percent contained
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- The skinny on fitness video games
- Fresno Police open fire on suspect after bike chase
- La Tapatia fire prompts two business to evacuate in Fresno
- Hundreds of UC Merced students receive their degrees
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 winners list
- Photos: Best moments at Billboard Awards 2013
- Firebaugh man kills home invasion suspect with a sword
- Investigators look into Merced house fire
- California Classic Weekend half marathon
- Visalia PD cracks down on underage drinking
- Welty's final commencement at Fresno State
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos