Action News Poll shows movement among democrats in state races
FRESNO, California (KFSN) -- Democrats are making a move in key statewide races, according to the latest exclusive Action News Poll conducted by SurveyUSA.
In the governor's race, Jerry Brown has now moved ahead of Meg Whitman 46-to-43 percent.
In the U.S. Senate race, incumbent Barbara Boxer now leads republican Carly Fiorina 49-43 percent.
Jerry Brown's surge started when he began running campaign ads on Labor Day.
An exclusive Action News Poll conducted by SurveyUSA just days before the ads started showed Brown trailing Meg Whitman 47-40 percent. A 10-point swing now gives Brown a slight 46-43 percent edge, a statistical tie.
ABC-30 Political Analyst Tony Capozzi is surprised by Brown's sudden turnaround because for months Meg Whitman filled the airwaves with commercials. Capozzi explained, "Millions of dollars have been spent and they're all negative ads against Jerry Brown and he's pretty much stayed consistent with here, not that even - a little bit behind. Now that he's started advertising he's really come a long way and jumped ahead of her."
Similar movement is seen in the U.S. Senate race between incumbent Barbara Boxer and Carly Fiorina.
Boxer trailed 48-46 percent in a SurveyUSA Poll three weeks ago. An 8-point swing now gives Boxer a 49-43 percent lead.
Capozzi says Boxer also benefited from new ads but notes democrats are the majority in California. He said, "The important thing is this race is the money. Barbara Boxer has raised a substantial amount of money. Fiorina has not. She's going to have to dig into her own coffers."
Local democrats like Ray Ensher see the latest numbers as a turning point in both races. Ensher said, "I think people are really getting serious about looking the candidates as they get more of the debates coming up and so forth."
President Obama has been in campaign mode but it will be first lady Michelle Obama who appears with Barbara Boxer at a campaign stop in L.A. days before the election.
Among valley voters polled, Meg Whitman leads Jerry Brown by a whopping 55-32 percent.
Carly Fiorina maintains a strong 58-32 percent edge over Barbara Boxer.
politics, dale yurong
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180 22 min ago
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Man sentenced in fatal Los Banos DUI crash
- Fresno man pleads guilty to murdering father 15 min ago
- Consumer Reports: Beware of tax scams
- Downtown Fresno gas leak prompts evacuations
- Russian power play: Crimea vote on joining Russia
- Business leaders discuss drought impact
- Businessman announces run for Fresno City Council
- Murderer apologizes for killing pregnant woman
- Mother of 2-year-old that died faces felony charges
- Who will be Mayor?
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway...
24 min ago