Congressional candidates raise $2 million on Valley race
FRESNO, California (KFSN) -- Nearly $2 million dollars has been raised in the race for the 20th Congressional District seat. Republican Andy Vidak is challenging Democratic incumbent Jim Costa for the 20th Congressional District and it's shaping up to be an expensive race.
Third quarter reports filed Friday show Congressman Costa has raised about $1.3 million dollars while Vidak has raised just over a half a million.
Nearly $683,000 of Costa's funds has come from individuals. About $610,000 thousand has come from Political Action Committees and other sources.
Vidak has raised about $564,000, all but about $10, 000 from individuals. Vidak said the report shows the district is behind his grassroots effort. "It's not about the party this time, so much as it is the whole district. Republicans, Democrats and Independents are all suffering in the 20th district, and they all want change," said Vidak.
Costa said about half of his money has come from Republican donors. "I've raised more money from individuals than he has. I've just raised a lot more money because people believe in the job Jim Costa does," said Costa.
But ABC 30 Political Analyst Tony Capozzi said the campaign finance reports really don't paint an accurate picture of what's being spent on this race. "All independent expenditures are filed with the Federal Elections Commission separately from individual reports ... so what we're seeing here is really misleading," said Capozzi.
Vidak recently got $85,000 dollars from the National Republican Congressional Committee, an outside source that isn't regulated by the Federal Elections Commission.
The most recent Action News poll conducted by Survey USA last month showed Costa with only a two point lead over Andy Vidak. Vidak said his campaign's polls show similar results, but Costa said his have shown a double digit lead since late August.
election day, 2010 u.s. house race 20, jim costa, andy vidak, politics, amanda perez
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno 58 min ago
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys 30 min ago
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County 9 min ago
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals 25 min ago
- Free health care enrollment fair held in...
58 min ago
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving...
13 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos