Valley lawmakers sworn in amid Calf budget crisis
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Monday, California's newly elected lawmakers will take the oath of office.
Valley lawmakers Linda Halderman, Henry T. Perea, and David Valadao, will be sworn in and begin dealing with the state budget.
The state faces a projected $25-billion budget hole. Governor Schwarzenegger has called an emergency session with only weeks left in office saying there is no time to waste.
Governor Schwarzenegger wants lawmakers to act immediately on spending cuts he'll outline today. But the majority democrats show little interest in working with Schwarzenegger's ideas and would rather wait for Jerry Brown.
"The smart decision would be to wait for the new governor to come in," said California Assembly Member-Elect Nora Campos (D) San Jose.
"I think it's gonna be, let's make sure anything we do meets the approval of the new governor," said California Assembly Member-Elect (D) Roger Dickinson.
Senate pro tem Darrell Steinberg acknowledges there'll be more deep spending cuts, probably in education and health care, but he also wants to pass on more duties to cities, counties, and schools.
Governor Elect Jerry Brown steps into the spotlight on Wednesday, with a budget summit with lawmakers.
linda halderman, henry t. perea, david valadao, california budget, arnold schwarzenegger, jerry brown, politics
- NorCal teen brain-dead after tonsil surgery
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US 33 min ago
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room beating
- 3 men die in sauna after drinking at Christmas party
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Teen shot on Third St. and Kadota Ave in Atwater
- Copper thieves flood Tower District businesses
- Valley experts give advice after Target accounts hacked
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Consumer Watch: Handheld video gaming devices
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos