High Speed Rail congressional hearing in Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- High Speed Rail could dominate a congressional hearing Tuesday in Fresno.
The house transportation committee meeting is expected to draw hundreds of supporters of the project, along with those who have concerns.
Republican Congressman Jeff Denham of Merced is among those with concerns and wants to see much of the federal money already set aside for High Speed Rail diverted to improve Highway 99.
"There is a pot of money sitting out there right now, it's certainly dedicated for High Speed Rail, we have a highway bill coming out right now and I think we have opportunities to change any type of funding," Jeff Denham said.
"It is apples and oranges. That's the point. This money is set aside for High Speed Rail, if states don't want High Speed Rail that's their prerogative, as Ohio and Wisconsin chose not to do," Jim Costa said.
Democratic Congressman Jim Costa of Fresno, a High Speed Rail supporter - notes that efforts to divert High Speed Rail funds in Ohio and Wisconsin resulted in those states losing the money, with much of it going to California.
Construction of the statewide High Speed Rail is slated to start next year in Fresno.
The High Speed Rail meeting takes place Tuesday from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. at the UC Center.
It's located at 550 East Shaw in Fresno. That's across the street from Fashion Fair Mall.
jeff denham, jim costa, fresno, fresno county, high speed rail, politics
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Robot helps in design of High-Speed Rail
- George the Giraffe thanks kind students
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season
- Clovis man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Marketplace at El Paseo holds grand opening
- PlayStation 4's faulty parental controls