Mitt Romney makes fundraising stop in Fresno
FRESNO, California (KFSN) -- Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney made a fundraising stop in Fresno Saturday morning. He spoke at two private events.
Mitt Romney arrived to a Northwest Fresno home early Saturday morning accompanied by Meg Whitman. Last year, she lost to Democrat, Jerry Brown in the California governor's race.
After making their way inside Romney greeted more than 300 people who each paid 500 dollars to eat breakfast and hear him speak.
Richard Evans said, "It was a great message. Encouragement. He's excited about the country. He loves America and that's what we need in a president."
Guests tell Action News Romney talked about the importance of free enterprise and putting people back to work.
The former Massachusetts governor spent years working in the private sector and often touts his role in creating thousands of jobs.
Jill Bechard said, "I thought his message was right on target. I'm a business woman, I run a credit union and we just need folks back there in Washington to understand that they've got to free up the business community and that's what he was talking about."
Romney left without answering our questions.
"Can I ask you a quick question before you take off? Can I ask you something quickly?"
He then made his way to another private fundraiser at Harris Construction in East Central Fresno. On his way out, he simply had this to say.
"How ya doing? Have a great day. Thanks!"
Romney's visit follows one made by another republican candidate, Rick Perry. He was in Fresno for a much smaller fundraiser last week.
ABC-30 political analyst Tony Capozzi says republican hopefuls will continue to fundraise in California even though they're not expected to win the state's popular vote.
"Any chance of a republican campaigning here, I think is not to be expected. They're gonna take the money and go back east." Fresno was not Romney's only stop Saturday. He also paid a brief visit to Bakersfield.
fresno, fresno county, mitt romney, rick perry, politics
- Man kills home invasion suspect with a sword 38 min ago
- Dog pack kills nearly 80 animals at campus 21 min ago
- Police investigate a home invasion in Central Fresno
- Kai murder investigation details revealed
- Mother of a Fresno toddler talks after hit-and-run
- Car crashes into a parade injuring around 60 people
- Conn. commuter train crash injures more than 60
- Brush fire in Southern California scorches 575 acres
- Pastor caught watching child porn at Disney World
- Clovis resident whose car was used in police chase talks
- Fresno foster youth overcomes adversity to graduate
- Eyewitness to Visalia OIS describes what he saw
- Frontier Airlines returns to Fresno
- Good Sports: Bulldogs in the Kitchen
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos