Signing of Dream Act sparks mixed reactions
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Undocumented immigrant students in California will soon be able to receive financial aid to attend college.
It was a beautiful day for a party in Madera as the annual "Fiesta in the Park" paid tribute to Hispanic culture, but organizers say the governor's actions over the weekend made the fiesta even more significant this year.
The fiesta is sponsored by Latinas Unidas, an organization that provides scholarships and support for young Latinas seeking higher education.
The organization's president is a retired educator who benefited from financial aid herself.
"It's like putting money in the bank," Dolores Olmos-Rodriguez of Latinas Unidas said. "Yeah, its going to cost them to go to school and stuff. But then they become professionals with skills that they wouldn't be skilled in and they're going to give back to the community."
Under the Dream Act, illegal immigrants will be able to apply for state funded financial aid only after other students have applied.
Still, critics say it undermines the country's immigration laws.
Anthony Avila with the Fresno State College Republicans says it's unfair considering once illegal immigrants graduate they are still ineligible to work.
"I don't feel this is equal treatment," Avila said. "This is not fair to the California taxpayer."
madera, madera county, california, immigration, immigration reform, politics, amanda perez
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno 22 min ago
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Fresno teen with cystic fibrosis to get lung transplant
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals 8 min ago
- Free health care enrollment fair held in...
22 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos