16th Congressional District GOP candidates debate in Madera
MADERA, Calif. (KFSN) -- Representative Jim Costa will formally announce his candidacy for re-election to congress on Thursday. The Fresno Democrat is running for the new 16th Congressional District seat.
The two Republicans who also want that office debated in Madera. Dairy farmer Johnny Tacherra and attorney Brian Whelan tried to appeal to their conservative audience and voters.
"I do not believe Obama-care is constitutional. As soon as I get in there, we're getting it out," said congressional candidate Brian Whelan (R).
"A good strong candidate has gotta stand up in Washington for the bible and the constitution," said congressional candidate Johnny Tacherra (R).
California State Assembly candidates Frank Bigelow and Ricco Oller also debated. The Central Valley Tea Party sponsored Wednesday night's debate.
2012 election, madera, madera county, debate, jim costa, Johnny Tacherra, Brian Whelan, Frank Bigelow, Ricco Oller, politics
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals