Ohio race heats up for Super Tuesday
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Millions of voters across the country are casting their ballots Tuesday for a Republican nominee.
Today is Super Tuesday, and 10 states stretching from Alaska to Virginia are holding crucial contests with over 400 delegates at stake.
Of the 10 states holding contests on Tuesday, Ohio is seen as the most important. It's partly symbolic because this state is such a major battleground in the general election. But for Rick Santorum, it's also critical because a loss here could finish his campaign.
Rick Santorum had been surging in Ohio, only to watch his lead in the polls slip away -- placing him in a last-minute dead heat with Mitt Romney.
While Santorum argued he's scrappy enough to claim Super Tuesday's biggest prize, Romney tried again to cast himself as the inevitable Republican nominee.
For help, he turned to his wife Ann, who spoke about her battles with multiple sclerosis and breast cancer on Fox News in an effort to humanize her husband, who's seen by some as an out of touch multimillionaire.
"You know, I don't even consider myself wealthy, which is an interesting thing. It can be here today, gone tomorrow," said Ann Romney.
But as the GOP field heads into Super Tuesday with 10 states and more than 400 delegates up for grabs, surveys say voters have developed largely unfavorable views of all remaining candidates.
A worry shared openly by Former First Lady Barbara Bush: "It's been, I think, the worst campaign that I have ever seen in my life. I just hate it. I hate the fact that people think compromise is a dirty word."
For better or for worse, no candidate will come out of Super Tuesday with enough delegates to claim the nomination. But if Mitt Romney wins in this state, the Republican voices calling for either Rick Santorum or Newt Gingrich to drop out will grow louder.
ohio, 2012 election, rick santorum, ron paul, newt gingrich, mitt romney, politics
- Man dies following shooting at Fresno apartment 32 min ago
- SoCal nurse in critical condition after stabbing 25 min ago
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Accuweather Forecast
1 min ago
- Man dies following shooting at Fresno...
32 min ago
- SoCal nurse in critical condition after...
26 min ago