Valley delegates take in DNC
FRESNO, California (KFSN) -- Valley delegates attending the Democratic National Convention said the excitement is building in Charlotte, North Carolina. They called it an amazing experience to meet people from across the US who have the same mindset and share the same goals.
Charlotte has seized the spotlight for the Democratic convention. Delegates from all 50 states have arrived to hear the party message.
Matt Rogers is chairman of the Fresno County Young Democrats. He said its important convention speakers set the tone Tuesday night.
Rogers explained, "We want to clearly hear the contrast so the country is able to hear the contrast in this election.
Estella Kessler of Selma said she is honored to represent the Valley at the convention. She said, "I'm really, really excited about seeing Michelle Obama. It's like a buzz in the background because everybody's excited inside and out."
Local delegates spent the day in meetings ranging from the women's caucus to the Latino and rural caucus.
Rogers is making sure the Valley message is being heard loud and clear. "It's very cool to say Fresno or the Central Valley and hear people say, where's that and then you get a chance to explain to them our area. They'll ask about what issues are challenging us."
Rogers added he can't wait to hear the speech by the mayor of San Antonio. "His name is Julian Castro and he's been called the Latino Barack Obama. Very inspiring."
Local delegates say they were glad to leave the Valley heat but have found the humidity in Charlotte to be stifling.
politics, dale yurong
- One person dead in Northwest Fresno accident 23 min ago
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Unemployment rises to 6.7 percent in February 31 min ago
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts
- Con man steals millions from elderly
- Man sentenced in fatal Los Banos DUI crash
- Photos: 16th-century 'rocket cat' weaponry pictures
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Growers discuss issues at Citrus Showcase
- Consumer Reports: Beware of tax scams
- Downtown Fresno gas leak prompts evacuations
- Russian power play: Crimea vote on joining Russia
- George Radanovich to announce he won't run for governor