Visalia Mayor reports a balanced budget
VISALIA, Calif. (KFSN) -- The mayor of Visalia says there's progress to report even as the city deals with financial challenges.
"This is our first year in about four years that we've actually had a balanced budget and we haven't had to go into our reserves -- so that's a big deal. We're not off the critical list, we're still in there. But with so many cities around us declaring bankruptcy and whatnot, we're doing well," said Mayor Amy Shuklian.
Thursday night Visalia Mayor Amy Shuklian and Vice Mayor Steve Nelsen delivered a state of the city address. That balanced budget did come at a cost with some reductions in workforce.
The state of the city event also gave the mayor a chance to explain how local government works, addressing everything from public safety to parks.
visalia, tulare county, politics
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates 13 min ago
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- 10 more bodies found inside sunken ferry by divers
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Credit card skimming device found at gas station
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt
- Easter Brunch recipe
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
18 min ago