Debate energizing supporters of both candidates
FRESNO, California (KFSN) -- Republicans in the Central Valley believe Mitt Romney's performance has created momentum that will translate to more support and ultimately, more money. That has democrats vowing to work even harder.
His successful debate was the subject of much conversation as Republican volunteers reached out to voters at the Big Fresno Fair. "They say, 'Didn't Romney hit a home run last night?' He was very vocal. He was very positive, and it's all been good," said volunteer Anita Edelman.
Fresno County Republican Party Vice-Chair Fred Vanderhoof was also impressed with Romney's performance and a bit surprised about President Obama's. "I don't think he has a leg to stand on, Barack Obama, because his policies just don't work. They haven't worked for four years. So in that respect, we weren't surprised. But I thought he'd be more prepared," said Vanderhoof.
An exclusive Action News Poll conducted by SurveyUSA shows that even in a 'blue' state, 48 percent of viewers thought Romney was the clear winner. By region, even San Francisco area voters said Romney was the winner. In the Central Valley, 58 percent thought Romney won the debate. "When something like this happens, we literally see more people phoning, dropping by to volunteer, to have people knocking on doors," said Vanderhoof.
Michael Evans with the Fresno County Democratic Central Committee admits the president will have to do a better job in the next debate. "It's just going to make us work that much harder. We still have a lot of work cut out for us. But it all comes down to who's better for the for California -- for the central valley," said Evans.
politics, amanda perez
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher 19 min ago
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- Search continues for Tulare County OIS suspect
- Drop in Valley flu cases
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Tiger Cubs make big debut at Fresno Chaffee Zoo
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Vet saves poisoned dog with vodka
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos