Proposition 30 isn't seeing strong statewide support
FRESNO, California (KFSN) -- With less than a month to go until Election Day, a new poll shows a ballot measure to fund schools and public safety isn't seeing strong statewide support. According the results of an exclusive Action News Poll conducted by SurveyUSA, 38 percent of decided voters said they planned to vote "no" on Proposition 30. 33 percent said they will vote in favor of the measure, and 29 percent of those surveyed were still undecided.
Proposition 30 would raise the state sales tax and the income tax on the highest earners, generating an estimated six billion dollars a year over a seven year period. In the Central Valley, 37 percent of voters said they're certain to vote no on the tax initiative, 31 percent said they'll vote yes, and 33 percent are still undecided.
As voters prepare to go the polls, schools and universities have come up with contingency plans in case voters reject the measure. In Fresno Unified, Superintendent Michael Hanson has said the measure's defeat would amount to $11.5 million dollars in additional cuts to California's 4th largest district. And just last month, the CSU Board of Trustees approved a plan to raise tuition by five percent for the 2013 spring and winter semesters -- if voters reject 30.
The results of our SurveyUSA poll show younger voters are the most likely to vote for prop 30. Among voters 18 to 34, 42 percent said they're certain to vote yes on the proposition, but the support dwindles among older voters.
politics, amanda perez
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180 6 min ago
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Man sentenced in fatal Los Banos DUI crash 58 min ago
- Downtown Fresno gas leak prompts evacuations
- Consumer Reports: Beware of tax scams
- Russian power play: Crimea vote on joining Russia
- Business leaders discuss drought impact
- Businessman announces run for Fresno City Council
- Murderer apologizes for killing pregnant woman
- Mother of 2-year-old that died faces felony charges
- Who will be Mayor?
- Photos: Selfless acts that will brighten your day
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway...
8 min ago