New Year brings new leadership for Madera County
MADERA, California (KFSN) -- The New Year brings new leadership for Madera County, as two new members join the board of supervisors. But one still hasn't been appointed.
The Madera County supervisors started 2013 off with a new board. On Tuesday, newly elected supervisor Rick Farinelli was sworn in. This past November, Farinelli won a tight race, beating his opponent by 61 votes.
"It feels great and I'm very emotional. It was a lot of hard work."
Farnielli took over the district three seat held by Ronn Dominici.
"Even with a new supervisor, the board is starting the New Year off with an empty seat, one that the Governor Jerry Brown will ultimately decide."
That's according to state law. The district one seat was vacated by Frank Bigelow, who won a term in the California State Assembly.
Newly elected chairman Max Rodriguez says he's never heard of the governor having to fill a supervisor seat in Madera County.
"So we're kind of excited anticipating who's going to be appointed," Rodriguez said. "Everyone's asking questions, 'who's it going to be?'"
The board is made up of mostly republicans and Chairman Max Rodriguez is the only democrat, thus far.
Rodriguez said, "So I'm hoping that a democrat will be appointed, I need allies up there."
Rodriguez believes that appointment could happen in February. But he says no matter the decision, both sides will work to do what's best for the people they serve.
madera county, madera, politics, amanda venegas
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard 4 min ago
- Search continues for Tulare County OIS suspect
- Drop in Valley flu cases 28 min ago
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Tiger Cubs make big debut at Fresno Chaffee Zoo
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Vet saves poisoned dog with vodka
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Robot helps in design of High-Speed Rail
- Accuweather Forecast
24 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos