Measure C funds approved for Downtown Fresno improvements
FRESNO, California (KFSN) -- The city is hoping to use millions in Measure C transportation funds to improve downtown and the Fulton Mall. The mall was not specifically on the agenda, but the city's plans to open it to traffic were what folks wanted to talk about.
Mall supporter Jake Soberal, a Fresno attorney, told the council, "We have an opportunity to create economic opportunity by restoring our main street, the place where we can actually have an economy."
But Brunette Harris, a housing activist in West Fresno disagreed.
"Streets in Downtown Fresno is not going to help our community," said Harris. "If you don't have any jobs it don't do any good to have any streets. It doesn't make any sense."
Fresno city council member Sal Quintero has proposed using the money for other things, around the city.
Quintero said, "To me it can be better used to fix streetlights, potholes, within certain areas of our major transportation corridors."
Fellow council members agreed there should be some flexibility in the funding, but they had to deal with the issue at hand.
Measure C money can be used for improvements in transportation corridors, and to encourage housing in those corridors.
So the council voted to authorize $1.3 million to benefit a Granville housing project and allow the company to make improvements to downtown alley ways.
politics, gene haagenson
- Man found dead with gunshot wounds in Visalia
- Triple stabbing in East Central Fresno
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes
- Visalia Police: Street racer crashes into mattress store
- Young woman dies in hit-run crash on Highway 99
- Fire sprinklers cause flooding at FCOE after small fire
- Sanger police chase ends in crash
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Man killed in rollover crash near Caruthers
- Wyoming gas explosion prompts evacuation of town
- Clashes in east Ukraine leave at least 2 dead
- Activists: Syrian airstrikes in north kill 18
- Scientists locate 19th century steamship in SF Bay
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter during attack