Fresno City Council District 1 seat candidates set stage at labor event
FRESO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Monday unions from across the Valley gathered at the Fresno Fairgrounds to celebrate their work.
"It's a day that labor comes together and shares the notion that families and there's a much larger labor family then people realize," Randy Ghan from the Central Labor Council.
Coming off a successful No on Measure G campaign the Central Labor Council feels it has strong momentum and others are noticing.
"It's also, Labor Day is sort of the kick off traditionally of the electoral process and the electoral season," Ghan said.
Several candidates were on hand serving breakfast and also meeting and greeting union members. Although the primary is in June of 2014 the Fresno City Council race for the District 1 seat is already getting crowded.
"A lot of people have said why are you out there so early Cary," candidate Cary Catalano said. "I go because I have 9,000 houses to reach and I really want to take the time to talk to the residents because the issues are very complex."
Catalano is not the only businessman running; Rama Dawar is also putting his hat into the race.
"Because I want to serve our community in the City of Fresno, the residents of Fresno, I want provide my services," Dawar said.
Esmeralda Soria, former District Director for State Senator Michael Rubio also showed interest and spoke with constituents at the labor event.
"I think it's a great event to be out here celebrating the labor of folks and it's a great day and I just wanted to come and serve," Soria said.
The Labor Union says it hopes to support passionate people, who will help improve the conditions of the working people.
fresno, fresno southeast, politics, amanda venegas
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- The Red Wave hits the road
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Police search for suspects who shot a Fresno teacher
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes 32 min ago
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Chance for 'Dogs to break bowl...
- Fire burns Three Rivers landmark
- Valley stores open extra hour for holiday rush
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- Accuweather Forecast
31 min ago
- Fresno State program gets students...
32 min ago
- Work underway on new mural in Downtown Fresno
39 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos