Shutdown: Prisoners being paid, while correctional officers are not
ATWATER, Calif. (KFSN) -- Thousands of federal employees are still showing up to work every day -- even though they're not getting paid during the government shutdown. That includes nearly four hundred correctional officers and support staff members at the U.S. penitentiary in Atwater.
Union President Donald Martin said if the shutdown lasts too long, some officers will have to look for work elsewhere. That could create a staffing shortage and raise safety concerns because the prison currently houses more than 14-hundred inmates.
Martin also said the prisoners are still being paid for the work they do at the facility. "The inmates are paid from appropriated funds that are separate from what we get paid from, so they're continuing to get their pay however the correctional officers who are supervising them are not, so it really sets up an awkward scenario in any event," said Donald Martin, AFGE Local 1242 President.
Many Social Security employees are also working without pay -- including several at this office in Merced. Residents say they are thankful the workers are still accepting appointments, even though services are limited because of the shutdown.
Furloughed workers are hoping for retroactive pay, but they say that won't cover overtime costs.
atwater, merced county, government shutdown, budget battle, politics
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals