Voters Say No to Jeff Denham Recall
6/4/2008 (KFSN) -- Democrats launched the recall drive after Denham refused to cast a deadlock -breaking vote on the state budget last year.
Senator Denham celebrated his victory in Modesto Tuesday night, and as you can imagine, he's a very happy man.
Denham was greeted by a room full of supporters shortly after the results came in. Many have been campaigning for him for the past several months, urging his constituents to vote no on the recall.
Senate President pro-tem Don Perata launched the recall effort last summer, and then formally called it off in May, saying it was time to politics aside to focus on more important issues. But by that time it was too late to take Senator Denham's name off the ballot.
Tuesday night Denham thanked everyone who supported him and said he hopes no one else has to go through what he and his family and staff have faced.
Supporters of the recall have said it was a way to hold Denham responsible for broken campaign promises. But Denham says it was an attempt to bully him into voting for an unbalanced budget.
Denham says now legislators need to work together to approve a budget. He said he's hoping an agreement can be reached before the end of the summer.
local elections, sara sandrik
- Carstens Fire blamed on unattended campfire 18 min ago
- Sierra Fire near Auberry at 50 percent containment
- Firefighters save home north of Clovis
- Resources stretched thin as fires ignite around the Valley
- Special Olympics torch run through Fresno County
- Summer food programs offer meals to children
- Fresno looks for cost savings after Measure G fails 16 min ago
- FPD seize weapons from gang members
- Car Crashes into a Visalia Chipotle
- Man finds Reedley mother's stolen ashes
- Police identify Central Fresno murder suspect
- Smoke from fires may cause health risks
- Mandela's wife thanks world for 'love, generosity'
- Court: Arizona citizenship proof law illegal