Voters Say No to Jeff Denham Recall
6/4/2008 (KFSN) -- Democrats launched the recall drive after Denham refused to cast a deadlock -breaking vote on the state budget last year.
Senator Denham celebrated his victory in Modesto Tuesday night, and as you can imagine, he's a very happy man.
Denham was greeted by a room full of supporters shortly after the results came in. Many have been campaigning for him for the past several months, urging his constituents to vote no on the recall.
Senate President pro-tem Don Perata launched the recall effort last summer, and then formally called it off in May, saying it was time to politics aside to focus on more important issues. But by that time it was too late to take Senator Denham's name off the ballot.
Tuesday night Denham thanked everyone who supported him and said he hopes no one else has to go through what he and his family and staff have faced.
Supporters of the recall have said it was a way to hold Denham responsible for broken campaign promises. But Denham says it was an attempt to bully him into voting for an unbalanced budget.
Denham says now legislators need to work together to approve a budget. He said he's hoping an agreement can be reached before the end of the summer.
local elections, sara sandrik
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- The Red Wave hits the road
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Police search for suspects who shot a Fresno teacher
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes 51 min ago
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Chance for 'Dogs to break bowl...
- Fire burns Three Rivers landmark
- Valley stores open extra hour for holiday rush
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- Accuweather Forecast
50 min ago
- Fresno State program gets students...
51 min ago
- Work underway on new mural in Downtown Fresno
58 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos