Jose Barraza running for city council
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Another person is throwing their hat in the ring for Fresno's District Five City Council race.
Jose Leon Barraza officially kicked off his campaign for the council seat this morning at Sunnyside ranch.
Supporters, including state assemblyman Juan Arambula, watched as Barraza announced his candidacy.
Barraza says he looks forward to discussing the issues affecting the district and what Fresno can do to become what he calls "more business friendly".
"Businesses are the engine that creates employment opportunities. If businesses do not prosper it's very hard to expand the number of jobs available. So we have to help businesses prosper so they can create employment opportunities," said Jose Leon Barraza, Fresno Dist. 5 Candidate
Barraza is the former Fresno County economic development director.
He's now a business owner and also chairs the Fresno County blue ribbon business committee.
Barraza joins a long list of candidates including Fresno Unified School board member Valerie Davis and former City Council Member Sal Quintero.
fresno, local elections
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals