Jose Barraza running for city council
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Another person is throwing their hat in the ring for Fresno's District Five City Council race.
Jose Leon Barraza officially kicked off his campaign for the council seat this morning at Sunnyside ranch.
Supporters, including state assemblyman Juan Arambula, watched as Barraza announced his candidacy.
Barraza says he looks forward to discussing the issues affecting the district and what Fresno can do to become what he calls "more business friendly".
"Businesses are the engine that creates employment opportunities. If businesses do not prosper it's very hard to expand the number of jobs available. So we have to help businesses prosper so they can create employment opportunities," said Jose Leon Barraza, Fresno Dist. 5 Candidate
Barraza is the former Fresno County economic development director.
He's now a business owner and also chairs the Fresno County blue ribbon business committee.
Barraza joins a long list of candidates including Fresno Unified School board member Valerie Davis and former City Council Member Sal Quintero.
fresno, local elections
- Fresno police target gangs in new operation
- Local heroes honored for bravery in Fresno
- Fresno Co. supervisors OK preliminary marijuana ban
- 2010 Greyhound Bus crash lawsuit settled
- $20 thousand reward for missing Fresno man
- Ex-Fresno paralegal found guilty of murder
- Uruguay legalizes sale, production of marijuana
- Warming tent setup for homeless in Merced County
- Debate on Fresno's water rate hike gets heated
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
- Lemoore Naval Air Station pilots return home
- Fatal Planada shooting alarmingly similar to another
- Sonic apologizes for racist sign
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Don't wait until the New Year to get fit
12 min ago