George Shoots 'Dogs Past Spartans
Fresno, CA (KFSN) -- Paul George scored 29 points, including 10 straight during a key stretch of the second half, to lift Fresno State over San Jose State 80-70 on Monday night.
Sylvester Seay added 19 points for Fresno State (10-7, 3-0 Western Athletic), which won its fourth in a row. Mike Ladd had 15.
Mac Peterson scored a career-high 21 points for San Jose State (8-7, 1-2), going 7-for-12 from behind the arc. Peterson's seven 3-pointers tied a school record.
Chris Oakes added 12 points and a game-high 13 rebounds for the Spartans, who forced just five Bulldogs turnovers.
After trailing 38-29 at halftime, San Jose State battled back in the second half and pulled within 56-54 on an Adrian Oliver layup with 8:48 remaining.
But the Bulldogs responded with a 14-6 scoring run that began when Greg Smith powered past Oakes and converted his own missed layup.
George then went to work, hitting a layup, a fall-away jumper and two 3-pointers in a span of 3 minutes, 18 seconds. Seay capped the surge with a drive to put Fresno State ahead 70-60 with 4:03 left.
San Jose State got no closer than eight points the rest of the way.
George's 29 points matched a career high for the sophomore forward. Freshman center Greg Smith added 10 points and eight rebounds for the Bulldogs, and Steve Shepp had a career-best 10 assists. Fresno State limited Oliver to 12 points, eight below his season average and the first time in eight games he was held under 20.
Peterson helped keep San Jose State within striking distance in the first half by hitting five 3-pointers. His fifth 3 brought the Spartans to within 22-21 with 8:20 left in the half.
The Bulldogs responded with an 8-0 run, capped by a Seay 3-pointer that rolled around the rim and in. Fresno State's starting five accounted for 76 of the team's 80 points.
fresno state bulldogs, fresno state basketball, sports
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors 21 min ago
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea 29 min ago
- Public tickets to the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl sold out
- Calif senator: Revenge porn law should include selfies
- Mega Million Winning Numbers
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Scams can include investments with friends
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
22 min ago
- Easy ways to make holiday parties festive
21 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos