Former Bulldog Coach Elected to Hall of Fame
Fresno, CA (KFSN) -- The National College Baseball Hall of Fame announced the 2010 induction class and among the men being honored is former Fresno State head coach Bob Bennett.
Bennett coached the Bulldogs from 1977-2002 and recorded 1,300 career wins. He guided the 'Dogs to 26-consecutive winning season and made two College World Series appearances in 1988 and 1991.
In 1988, Bennett led Fresno State to its first No. 1 ranking and was named the NCAA Coach of the Year. During his tenure, he won or shared 17 league titles and advanced to the NCAA Regional 21 times.
Bennett coached 31 players who reached the Major Leagues and in 2000 he won the ABCA's Lefty Gomez Award.
Joining Bennett in this year's class is Wally Kincaid, Dave Magadan, Alan Bannister, Eddy Furniss, Don Heinkel, George Sisler, B.J. Surhoff, Charles Teague and Richard Wortham.
Hall of Fame inductees are chosen based on the votes of more than 110 representatives from coast to coast. Voters include retired and active coaches, media members and previous inductees.
To be eligible for the College Baseball Hall of Fame ballot, players must have completed one year of competition at a two-year institution in the CCCAA or NJCAA or a four-year NCAA (Division I, II or III) or NAIA institution. Ballot-eligible coaches must have retired or be active and no less than 75 years old.
The 2010 inductees will be honored on July 1 as part of the College Baseball Foundation's annual celebration of both the past and present of college baseball from July 1 through July 3 in Lubbock, Texas.
fresno, fresno state baseball, fresno state bulldogs, sports, jason oliveira
- Man shot in head while sitting in Fresno apartment
- Man arrested for exposing himself in front of kids
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno
- Suspects sought after man stabbed in Parlier
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex offender
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested
- California farmers to get more water
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Heart of the Horse is expanding
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Calwa Catholics mark Good Friday with procession
- Health Watch: depressed preschoolers?
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos