Former Bulldog Coach Elected to Hall of Fame
Fresno, CA (KFSN) -- The National College Baseball Hall of Fame announced the 2010 induction class and among the men being honored is former Fresno State head coach Bob Bennett.
Bennett coached the Bulldogs from 1977-2002 and recorded 1,300 career wins. He guided the 'Dogs to 26-consecutive winning season and made two College World Series appearances in 1988 and 1991.
In 1988, Bennett led Fresno State to its first No. 1 ranking and was named the NCAA Coach of the Year. During his tenure, he won or shared 17 league titles and advanced to the NCAA Regional 21 times.
Bennett coached 31 players who reached the Major Leagues and in 2000 he won the ABCA's Lefty Gomez Award.
Joining Bennett in this year's class is Wally Kincaid, Dave Magadan, Alan Bannister, Eddy Furniss, Don Heinkel, George Sisler, B.J. Surhoff, Charles Teague and Richard Wortham.
Hall of Fame inductees are chosen based on the votes of more than 110 representatives from coast to coast. Voters include retired and active coaches, media members and previous inductees.
To be eligible for the College Baseball Hall of Fame ballot, players must have completed one year of competition at a two-year institution in the CCCAA or NJCAA or a four-year NCAA (Division I, II or III) or NAIA institution. Ballot-eligible coaches must have retired or be active and no less than 75 years old.
The 2010 inductees will be honored on July 1 as part of the College Baseball Foundation's annual celebration of both the past and present of college baseball from July 1 through July 3 in Lubbock, Texas.
fresno, fresno state baseball, fresno state bulldogs, sports, jason oliveira
- Huge tornado hits Oklahoma City suburb, kills 51
- Impact of Oklahoma tornado devastation felt in Valley
- Teacher convicted of sex with student sentenced
- Fire breaks out at winery near Reedley
- Tower District crimes attacked head-on
- Valley Works: Educational partnership providing opportunities
- FPU hopes Wilson is answer for women's hoops
- Experts say warm spring means more bugs
- Valley gets cutting-edge way to treat skin blemishes
- Search for new Fresno State president wrapping up
- Fowler High School holds college signing day
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes 80 percent contained
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- Cement truck overturns on HWY 99 to HWY 180 interchange
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos